What is the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)?
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is a federal law enforcement agency that is responsible for investigating a wide range of criminal activities that fall under federal jurisdiction. The FBI works closely with state and local law enforcement agencies to investigate and solve crimes, and it often becomes involved in local law enforcement investigations and prosecutions in several circumstances.
What Types of Crimes do the FBI Investigate?
- Federal crimes: The FBI investigates and enforces federal laws. This includes crimes such as bank robbery, extortion, kidnapping, and organized crime, which fall under the jurisdiction of the federal government. Federal crimes always involve conduct that crosses state lines or affects interstate commerce, sometimes even if the effect is slight.
- Public corruption: The FBI investigates public officials or those who conduct business with the government and are suspected of violating federal laws. This can include bribery, embezzlement, and fraud. The FBI will also investigate local offenses that involve local governments or entities that receive federal funds.
- Civil rights violations: The FBI has a mandate to uphold civil rights and investigates cases of hate crimes, human trafficking, violation of individual civil rights, and discrimination.
- Cyber Crime: With the rise of technology, many crimes are committed online, like hacking, identity theft, and various forms of online fraud. The FBI has the jurisdiction to investigate these cases.
- National Security: FBI agents are also responsible for investigating activities related to national security, like espionage, terrorism and international organized crime. It also investigates the violation of import and export control laws as well as international traffick in arms.
- Joint Task Force: The FBI also participates in Joint Task Forces with other federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies to share resources and expertise to target specific criminal activities such as drug trafficking, gang violence, and human trafficking.
- Assistance to local law enforcement: The FBI can also provide support to local law enforcement agencies in the form of technical assistance, forensic analysis and other resources.
It’s important to note that the FBI often works together with local and state law enforcement agencies. They will often share information and coordinate their investigations to target accusations of criminal organizations or illegal activities that operate across state lines or involve multiple jurisdictions.
In general, the FBI will become involved in a local law enforcement investigation or prosecution when an alleged offense falls under federal jurisdiction, when a crime is committed on federal property, when local law enforcement agencies request assistance, or when multiple jurisdictions are involved. Sometimes the FBI has expertise that the local law enforcement agency does not or the FBI is involved with a federal Task Force that has received national funding to target a particular type of criminal accusation.
As a federal law enforcement agency, the FBI has a wide range of investigative tools and resources at its disposal, which helps them to be more effective in solving complex crimes. When the FBI gets involved in a case, it means that the resources and expertise of the federal government are being brought to bear to help find and prosecute the accused persons.
Federal Criminal Defense Attorney in Texas
If you or a loved one has been charged with a federal crime, time is of the essence. Federal charges can carry severe penalties and the stakes are high. It’s important that you seek the help of an experienced federal criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible.
Goldstein & Orr is a criminal defense firm in Texas that specializes in federal criminal defense. They have the knowledge and experience to provide you with the legal assistance you need to navigate the complex federal legal system and achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
The team of attorneys at Goldstein & Orr are dedicated to fighting for the rights and freedom of those charged with federal crimes. We will work tirelessly to investigate the facts of your case, evaluate the evidence against you and build a strong defense strategy that will help you achieve the best possible outcome.
Don’t risk your freedom and your future by trying to handle your federal criminal case alone or by consulting with colleagues. Contact Goldstein & Orr today to schedule a confidential consultation. We understand that being charged with a federal crime can be a stressful and overwhelming experience, and will provide you with the guidance and support you need to navigate the legal process.
Don’t hesitate to call now at (210) 226-1463, our team of attorneys will provide a free and confidential consultation. Trust the team of legal professionals at Goldstein & Orr to fight for your rights and defend your interests. Act now and call today.