As part of our dedication to defending the rights of the accused, the attorneys at Goldstein & Orr have served leadership roles and attained distinguished fellowships in multiple national, state and local organizations dedicated to criminal defense lawyers and criminal justice issues. Our firm consists of former presidents and current leaders of these important organizations.
American Bar Association Criminal Justice Section
The American Bar Association, founded in 1878, is the largest organization for attorneys in the nation. Its Criminal Justice Section consists of both prosecutors and criminal defense lawyers. The Section makes recommendations for policy and resolution to the ABA, as well as provides continuing legal education to members.
- Cynthia Orr is Chair of the ABA’s Criminal Justice Section as of 2014.
National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
The National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL) serves as both a professional organization for criminal defense lawyers and as an advocacy organization for rational and humane criminal justice policy. There are more than 40,000 members worldwide of the NACDL and 90 affiliate organizations.
- Gerald H. Goldstein served as President of the NACDL from 1994 to 1995.
- Cynthia Orr served as President of the NACDL from 2009 to 2010.
Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
The Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association is a statewide association of criminal defense attorneys. Founded in 1971, it consists of both public defenders and attorneys in private defense practice. The organization provides continuing legal education for defense lawyers and support attorneys targeted for zealous representation of clients with its Strike Force.
- Gerald H. Goldstein served as President of the TCDLA from 1992 to 1993.
- Cynthia Orr served as President of the TCDLA from 2003 to 2004.
- Click here to watch Cynthia’s Peer congratulate her on Induction into the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyer Association Hall of Fame
San Antonio Bar Association
The San Antonio Bar Association is a voluntary bar association for attorneys in the San Antonio area. Members work with judges to improve the efficiency and performance of the county courts, participate in drafting local rules for the courts and hearing and settling disputes between lawyers and doctors.
- Van G. Hilley served as President of the San Antonio Bar Association from 2002 to 2003.
San Antonio Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
The San Antonio Criminal Defense Lawyers Association exists to assist its members in protecting the rights of people accused of crimes in Bexar County. The organization provides its members with continuing legal education and a network on which they can exchange ideas and tactics.
- Cynthia Orr was a founder of SACDLA and its first President, elected in 1999.
American Board of Criminal Lawyers
The American Board of Criminal Lawyers is a national organization for criminal defense attorneys. Fellows are only admitted after a major felony trial and upon the recommendation of other distinguished lawyers and other fellows.
- Gerald H. Goldstein was admitted as a Fellow of the American Board of Criminal Lawyers in 1987.
American College of Trial Lawyers
The American College of Trial Lawyers is dedicated to attorneys who practice in the courtroom in the United States and Canada. Membership is by invitation only, and is reserved for those who have a record of achievement in trial.
- Gerald H. Goldstein was admitted as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers in 1991.
International Academy of Trial Lawyers
The International Academy of Trial Lawyers is a worldwide organization for attorneys and counselors at law who have demonstrated skill in the courtroom. The organization may only have 500 Fellows worldwide under the age of 70.
- Gerald H. Goldstein was admitted as a Fellow of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers in 1997.
NORML Legal Committee
The Legal Committee of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML) consists of lawyers and others dedicated to enacting sensible policy regarding cannabis, and building defenses to those accused of crimes involving marijuana.
- Gerald H. Goldstein currently serves as Co-Chair of the NORML Legal Committee.